Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I scream, you scream...

We ALL scream for ice cream! At least my friends do. I've been waiting for this day for a while. Not only was it a chance to get ice cream for 31 cents a scoop at Baskin-Robbins and donate to the local fire department, but despite work and school and acts of God, several of my friends were able to hang out at the same time! It's been a real struggle to get the gang together this past year. Everyone misses getting together, but I think we may have reached that point. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - the sad realization that the "real" world is inevitable and that it's a whole lot harder to make time for friends and fun. But we're fighting it with all our might! AshLee, Flat Jason and I showed up at BR at 5:30 p.m. to get a seat and grab some ice cream. Soon, Erin and her friend, Amanda, joined us. We stayed and talked, and eventually JR joined our table. The firemen gave FJ a balloon. Time crept on and our small party began to disband. As I headed to the door, I saw the Wyss family: Teddy, Krista and Fiona the dog. Never one to pass up an opportunity to visit, I stopped and talked to them. It was nice to catch up. I finally left Baskin-Robbins a little after 8 p.m. That's what I call time well-spent.

This past week was a little light on the blogging, but I would be remiss if I failed to mention two things. First, another week down, 55 more to go. Second, the Eldon High School Jazz Band came to Columbia to play for the Fleetwood Travelcade Club. Apparently, these senior citizens, from Canada and the U.S., roam North America in their recreational vehicles. Ahh, the open road! I admire their spunk and tenacity...if only they would dance! The jazz band came prepared with music from the '30s, '40s and '50s. The band played several songs, and Bandman encouraged dancing, but no one budged from their seat. "I'll remedy this," I thought to myself. I turned to the closest man and asked him to dance...and he turned me down! Luckily, a nearby woman was volunteering the man she was sitting by to dance. By the end of the number, another couple had taken the floor. No more legitimate couples got up to dance until the last song, Glen Miller's "In the Mood." Maybe Bandman should start the set with that next time!

No comments: