Saturday, April 5, 2008

Everyday blessings: flying kites at Douglass Park

Today was Kite Flying Day in Douglass Park. The weather was wonderful, so Flat Jason and I packed up our kite and headed to the park. We have a Superman kite. Well, technically, I believe it is a Justice League kite. I bought it a few years back when some people at CCH decided to go fly kites. It reminds me of the Superman kite I had when I was little. My brother had a Batman kite. No girlie kites in this family.

Anyway, we got to the park, and I was amazed at how many people showed up. It was quite a crowd! There were tons of kites: simple kites shaped like mine covered in characters, such as Barbie or Elmo, and incredibly detailed shapes, such as the orange pterodactyl. (I think it won the prize for being the biggest kite in the air.)

I flew my kite for a little bit, but then I took a break. The wind wasn't a consistent breeze, and that made flying difficult. I sat on my blanket with FJ and watched everyone else try to work their magic. I loaned my kite to mom Christine, who had her hands full with two kite-flyers, Clayton and Andrew, who were trying to share one butterfly kite. Now, I'm not a master kite-flyer myself - that's why I bought my simple one - but I was able to help one of the boys get started with the Justice League while his mom helped out his brother with the fancy butterfly kite. She and I chased the boys around the ballfield, picking up crashed kites and setting them afloat while the boys ran ahead pulling them. It was so much fun!

In the end, my kite lost one of its tails (It doesn't really need two.), and its string got pretty tangled. Christine was so glad I shared my kite that she gave me her string to replace mine. She even sent Clayton back to me with some money. I told him to put it in his pocket. I was just happy to find some nice people to share the afternoon with. It's times like this that I really love Columbia's small-town atmosphere, and I thank God for His small, everyday blessings.

No comments: