Saturday, April 5, 2008

Army wives support each other















Frustrating ... a lack of information is frustrating. So far, my family readiness group has given me no information. Nothing about the situation in Kosovo, what paperwork needs to be filled out or even how to cope with a deployment. Zero, zip, zilch. As a new military wife starting her first deployment, this information would be helpful, at least to point me in the right direction. I fought for every piece of information I have. I've called the state office, nagged Jason for details, searched online or had links forwarded to me by friends. I'm lucky to be surrounded by such a strong support network. Friends and family, plus a few Army wives who have "been there, done that."

My friend Mandi married her Jason just before he was deployed to Iraq. He missed their first anniversary, and now he will miss their fifth. This year his mission is Afghanistan. Mandi definitely knows what it's like to be newly married and "single." She invited me over for dinner and we had a great time talking about all kinds of things, from how men and women communicate differently to how she makes the days go more quickly. Mandi keeps a jar of M&Ms to count the days until Jason returns. Every day she eats one more, and the jar is closer to empty. She also plans to read her Bible in a year. I think that may be something I try when Jason's new orders officially start.

Another military wife I aspire to be like is Ann, Jason's mom. She visited this weekend. Her husband, Tom, is deployed to Iraq right now. Her family readiness group is ineffective as well, and she listened to my lack-of-information blues. Ann had lots of tips for staying positive during the deployment. She also has the inside track on what to send in care packages and we brainstormed creative ways to send love to our husbands. She said my mom, Sarah Schad, postal carrier extraordinaire, could tell me more about mailing packages abroad.

Slowly, but surely, my frustration is subsiding. It looks like this deployment might be bearable.

No comments: