Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Weekend Happenings

Erin R. is back in town! Let the fun begin! She invited Flat Jason and me to a free concert in front of Memorial Union on Saturday night. We met up with her brother and his girlfriend, plus some random friends. The Hibernauts from St. Louis and Augustana of moderate fame were the performers, but at times I felt that more attention was directed at Flat Jason and me.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm used to people looking at FJ and whispering in a not-so-inconspicuous manner, but I'm not used to people accosting us. A young man in the crowd approached us and began yelling, "What's he doing here? He's supposed to be grounded. Why's he looking at me?" He yelled it very loudly, the same thing over and over, as he walked toward us. Fortunately another gentleman in the crowd moved between us and the violent man and got him to calm down and walk away. Now, we've seen all kinds. There were several more that night who asked about Flat Jason, including one boy who complimented me on my eyes.

Despite all the distraction, I enjoyed the bands and wished I actually knew their music.

On Sunday, we made it to church finally since missing twice for the fair. We sat on the right side like normal, even though after we sat down I saw Erin and AJ in the middle of the auditorium. After the service, we met Jody, one of the youth ministers. I had seen him before at some of the CCH flag football games, but he'd never met FJ. We continued on to the gym where we hoped to find a donut, but alas, there were none. Not even a trace of them! Weird. Oh well.

Flat Jason and I parted from our friends' company after church and headed to see Diana and Jason in their new apartment. We brought them a wedding present, which I wrapped in my National Geographic maps. Not only were they colorful, but I knew that Diana and Jason would appreciate my resourcefulness. We had a good visit; there was a lot to catch up on since I had seen them last. Then, we had lunch. Jason grilled some meat and corn for us, and we ate watermelon from Grandma Schad. It was a lovely afternoon. I even traded some of our extra watermelon for some of Diana and Jason's extra corn.

The weather was so nice on Monday that Flat Jason and I couldn't resist eating on the patio. I cooked some corn and cut a tomato. And I made sure to bring out our awesome citronella candles to keep the bugs away. They're in cute turtle containers. The candles worked pretty well, but I still had some bug bites!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, what is the deal with the donuts?? Lucas and I went down a few weeks ago and there weren't any. We thought maybe the service just ended early and we were too fast for the volunteers to put them out. But, again, there even tables for them. No sign of them! I'm going to get to the bottom of this! :)

Tamra

Anonymous said...

***Donut Update***
I asked my "inside source" at life group last night, and, sadly, there will be no more donuts. I guess they always had tons of extras, some of the parents complained that it was too unhealthy for the kids, and it also posed a security risk to have that many people in the gym while the little kids were moving between classes. Mystery solved.