Sunday, August 3, 2008

Near K-lamities

Flat Jason and I headed to Kansas City on Saturday to hand out Hero Packs to children of military members and see the Royals play. When we pulled into the parking lot at Kauffman Stadium, I searched for the sunscreen that I was sure I had packed. Negative. All I came up with was a can of bug spray, and while potentially useful, it was not going to guard my pale skin against the intense midday sun. Fortunately, there was a group of tailgaters parked a few spaces over who were more than happy to let a complete stranger use their sunscreen after, of course, enduring much teasing about white legs and unpreparedness. Oh well. Crisis averted.

Military Appreciation Day with the Royals - Before the game, we worked with Joan of Operation Military Kids to hand out free tickets to families of military service members and passed out around 15 Hero Packs to school-aged children who have had a service member deployed. Some of the guys from the 129th stopped by for some free tickets and posed with Flat Jason. I also wandered down front to take photos of the pre-game activities.

After the game started, one of the ushers told me to find my seat, so I packed up and headed up the stairs. When I got to the top, I felt kind of dizzy, so I dropped my stuff and sat down with Flat Jason under a concession stand counter. The smell of the food made me a little nauseated. I decided the best thing to do was to get some water, so I got up and asked for a water from the person at the drink cart that was near me. I grabbed the money out of my pocket to hand to the vendor, and I passed out on their cart. I wasn't out for very long, but when I was coming to, I felt dizzy and thought I was going to fall over, so I lowered myself to the ground. God bless the vendors because they were great. They applied ice packs to my neck and head and called first aid. An EMS guy named Christopher came to check on me. He called for a wheelchair and took me down to first aid. While we were waiting for an elevator, we saw Sluggerrr, the Royals mascot. Everyone also kept remarking that FJ looked like Jimmy Gobble, a Royals pitcher that I think is on the disabled list.

We checked into first aid, and I stayed there for a little bit, just resting, drinking water and chatting with others. I was totally embarrassed for having caused such a scene, having to be wheeled about and such, but other people were having the same problem (It was 158 degrees on the turf.) so I didn't feel quite as bad. Before Flat Jason and I left first aid to find our seats, we posed with my hero.

Luckily, Joan had given Flat Jason and I seats in the shade. When we found them, we discovered a group of servicemen from the area. I think their names were Mark, Ed and Wentworth TAC officer Robbins. (I don't remember his first name.) I arrived near the end of the second inning or the beginning of the third, and it was nice to have some people to discuss the game with.

FJ and I put on the free hats we received at the gate to finish watching the game. The final near-calamity of the day occurred in the eighth inning. The Sox picked up four runs, and I was afraid that the Royals were going to let victory slip from their fingers again. Kansas City brought out closer, and Mexicutioner, Joakim Soria to keep their lead, and the Royals won 9-7. Wa-hoo!

1 comment:

Chris Bishop said...

Hey!!!
It's the EMS guy that was fortunate enough to meet you during your unfortunate time. Thank you for giving me your card so I could share in the adventure. First off, I want to say that you and Jason are the heroes. I believe heroes are people to model your own life from. Jason, I don't even know you, but it doesn't matter. It takes a certain strength from a certain person to leave your life and love in order to be of service to others. There is no greater calling than to help others. Amanda, I don't know you either, but it doesn't matter. The love you display for others is awesome! It is so cool that while Jason is away, he has a spot right here. I believe the two of you are very fortunate. Second off, I just want to let you both know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep living from your hearts and stay close to the Big Man upstairs. Be careful over there and hurry back!
Don't be afraid to call me if you need anything - the number is 911