Sunday, September 7, 2008

Thursday funk and pity party

So, I'm not gonna lie. I've been trying to keep the blog as upbeat as possible, writing about all the fun things that Flat Jason and I have been doing, the people we've been meeting, and skipping over the more mundane ( and lonely) parts of life. I mean, who really wants to tune in to hear how much life sucks when your husband is deployed? I certainly don't go looking for downers during my day.

But, I think the funk I was in on Thursday is worth mentioning. It really wouldn't be representative of the whole "married-but-single" experience if you didn't hear about a rough time or two, would it?

I had decided that, after work, Flat Jason and I would go to the Tomato Festival out at the University of Missouri's Bradford Research and Extension Center. It was something I've gone to for a couple of years, and it's been fun tasting the tomatoes and peppers and looking at the flowers in the rose garden. Unfortunately, the day started with rain, and the rain continued off and on. So, I nixed the idea of going to the festival. The rain also discouraged any thoughts I had entertained of checking out the Twilight Festival downtown.

"What to do?" I thought. I suddenly felt depressed and wished Jason was in town to hang out with me. Definitely missing him...36 weeks until he was done in Kosovo...and 12 weeks until he was stateside for leave. Still 12 weeks? I counted again. Still 12 weeks...how could that be? 12 weeks has been the count for, like, three weeks. Either I can't count or time is seriously standing still...

Hmm...there was a group of people from work going to El Maguey's for food and margaritas, but I probably wouldn't be good company now. I certainly didn't feel like hitting the gym, even though it probably would make me feel better...eventually.

Nope. I decided to go home and throw myself a pity party. On the way home, I called my sister. Lauren let me cry and carry on about how much I missed Jason and then began distracting me with funny stories. After I had been home for about 30 minutes, I was laughing again. Have I told you how amazing my sister is?

So the pity party was over before it really began, and I can't say I mind. Thanks, Lauren.

No comments: