Monday, February 16, 2009

My husband is more sentimental than me...

...and I like that.

I started out strong: I got up on Valentine's Day and made pancakes - all by myself. (Be impressed. I've never done that before.) I even cut them into heart shapes. And I put my homemade Valentine card at his plate.

Later, I got to talk to the real Jason via Web cam. We played some games together and chatted for a while before he said that he had looked for some red velvet cake in the chow hall, but there was none to be found. Instead, he made due with the dessert available. I said it was too bad because I know how much we both like that flavor of cake and laughed at an inside joke, but it wasn't until after we had said good-bye that I realized the real significance of the red velvet cake.

That was the flavor of our wedding cake. Most couples save the top layer of their wedding cake to eat on their first anniversary, but not us. Our wedding cake was only one layer, and it was so delicious (thanks, Mom!) that we decided to eat it while it was fresh. How could I have forgotten about such a prominent wedding tradition? I thought about it the whole time we were at the Mud Room...

Erin of the Mud Room specially ordered us a rice bowl to paint and make a semi-matching set. Jason painted a dragon on the other rice bowl, so I needed to figure out how to paint a dragon. The only one that I could even come close to was Trogdor the Burninator. By the time it was completed, I had decided to see what sort of fancy desserts were available at Cold Stone Creamery.

Success! Cold Stone had some red velvet petite fours covered with dark chocolate. Mmmm! We gave one to Jamie and Dustin and ate one ourselves while drinking out of our sweet toasting glasses.
Happy anniversary, my sentimental one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TROGDOR!

It's been awhile, so I'm just catching up with this. Good work on the big #1.

Awesome toasting glasses.