Saturday, November 1, 2008

Zidane and the Whistance boys

Instead of biking like normal on Tuesday, Jeremy, Jarrett and I opted to see a movie about Zinedine Zidane, a French footballer, that was playing at the Ragtag.

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait - It's a movie of the football match between Real Madrid and Villareal in real time. Seventeen cameras were focused on Zidane. It was incredibly interesting to be focused on him instead of where the ball was going; it was a totally different perspective of the game. I imagined him to be running, moving all the time, but instead he actually seemed to stand still and observe the game quite a bit. I really liked watching him explode into action on the big plays. From so many angles, it was a complete picture of him recognizing an opportunity, seizing it and being congratulated by his teammates afterward.

But, I was disappointed. I thought there were too many shots of just his feet standing around, and I hated the abrupt transitions to the grainy television "replays." I also wish we had heard Zidane talking more about what he had seen, felt and remembered about the game instead of the few subtitles that flickered across the screen. And, I would rather have heard the noise of the match and the crowd instead of the boring score that played behind the movie a good chunk of the time. I'm not going to lie, it put Flat Jason to sleep almost instantly.

All things considered, I enjoyed the movie...and my time with the Whistance boys. After the movie, we looked at some paintings in the restaurant that a local artist had painted from photos that her brother took while serving in Iraq.

1 comment:

Erin said...

you saw a movie about Zinedine Zidane? That's crazy!!

P.S. - love the dragon baby picture. That kid was so cute.