Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bonne anniversaire!

Happily, my birthday was on a Friday this year. It started as a nice day and only got better when Brian from upstairs gave me a Twix. Mmm...chocolate! Then, I got the other half of my birthday present from Jason - flowers!!! I even got a phone call from my long-lost cousin Josh!

After work, FJ and I went to Versailles and met Mom, Lauren and Grandma at the Royal Theatre to watch the Apple Festival play, Hello, Dolly! We were late, so Mom and Lauren saved some pizza for us, and we sneaked it into the theatre. Hooray for food!

I was horrified and confused when music for the play began and I realized it was pre-recorded and playing over the speaker system instead of coming from a piano strategically placed in a corner and played by the gray-haired lady like so many years in the past. It was a kick in the gut to be sure. It was almost as if I had just learned that my favorite small, cozy, intimate corner saloon had been demolished to make way for a raging discotheque. To add to my confusion, I wasn't very familiar with the plot because my love/hate relationship with key people in the movie had kept me from getting into it. After I settled down and eaten my pizza, though, the story began to grow on me. The actors did a great job and so did everyone else who had a hand in it, from sets and costumes to directing and selling popcorn. Flat Jason got a little love from one of my favorite character actors, Reva, after the play. (I don't remember her character's name.)

Then we went home to make pies for the Eldon FFA Hog Roast on Saturday. Flat Jason helped Mom make two pumpkin pies and a cherry pie while Lauren and I worked on the dishes. We listened to Pogey and took a break to eat some birthday cake. Mom made Red Velvet Cake, and FJ helped blow out my candles. Year 25 is off to a good start!

No comments: